19 March 2007

Splendour and Beads




I want to share this picture for a traditional outfit of people in the Black forest the region I'm born.
In Black forest in Germany each valley has his have special kind of traditional costumes.
I'm surprised to find one of this in Amsterdam yesterday.This is a relict from 15 century. This hat was a status symbol and only worn by married women. This was called " Haube". To day a day we speak when a girl got married, she is under the Haube. Now she is allowed to wear this beaded hat.



I never stud still that beads has such as a long tradition and it was always a symbol of status.
From Inuit tot African tribes whole over the world they are worn.
Shells, wood, glass, plastic , bone, silver, gold or other metal.

The exhibition is a wonderful representative collection of what is found in past and worn today in our century by stars all over the world.







A good sample making buttons of mother-of-pearl.



The tropic museum Amsterdam has a vast omnipresent collection of samples of all ethnic art.
I want to go once more next. It so amazing and to much to keep in mind.





Its real inspiring to visit this collection.
There is a big collection of textile too.
The building is marvelous in its style.
For me it was the first time I have been there but not al all the last.