08 February 2008

Land under the sea level



This week I have spend a day with my 3 grandchildren in Leiden in Rijksmuseum for cultural history.
They want to see the Egypt exhibition there.

3 hours by train we saw the country full of rain. The alluvial land is totally under water. Once more I realized that one third of my country is below sea level. The drainages are overflowed by rain . The whole winter where extremely wet.

Granny why are here so much windmills? Boy, that's a need to pump dry the ditches.
Such a long time the dutch people fight for water and mastered that problem by windmills.
Nowadays it's more need than ever.

My home is 53 m above sea level. I don't like the idea to stay for longer 5 m under sea level.

Happy that I'm back home with my crocus in my garden.

No comments: